In a landmark event on Thursday, June 10, 2021, the School of Media and Communication held an inauguration ceremony for the newly constituted SMC Advisory Board.
While giving his opening remarks, the Dean of the SMC, Dr. Michael Okolo made it known that the Advisory Board of the SMC will provide strategic advice to the school’s management and act as a sounding board through its various deliberations to the school. He went further to add that “the board will also help the school to gain new insights and proffer advice towards problem-solving or exploring new opportunities by stimulating robust, high-quality conversations”.
Appointed as advisory board members of the SMC were:
- Mr. Charles Anudu – MD/Chairman, The Candel Company
- Mr. Chris Ubosi – Founder/MD Megalectrics Limited
- Sir Steve Omojafor OON – Former Chairman Zenith Bank
- Chief Olusegun Osoba CON – Former Governor of Ogun State
- Dr. Josef Bel-Molokwu – Chairman/Lead Consultant, Sef Patri Services (Inc.)
- Mrs. Comfort Obi – Publisher/Chief Executive, The Source Magazine
- Mr. Udeme Ufot – Group MD, SO&U
- Mr. John Ugbe – CEO, Multichoice Nigeria.
The inauguration exercise was carried out by the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Juan Elegido, after a brief address to encourage them to see their sacrifice as a reward for their achievements in their various careers and endeavours.
As part of the event, a talk was given by the former dean, Dr. Ikechukwu Obiaya on the theme of the inauguration which was Current Trends in Media and Communication. The talk was with a focus on media and communication trends that should guide the SMC as an educational institution and on the type of skills needed to impact students who will pass through the institution, with the hope of making them change-makers.
In their response, all the members of the board thanked the PAU for the opportunity to serve while pledging their readiness to work assiduously to support the goals of the school.
The advisory board is expected to meet quarterly and their first meeting is being planned for August 2021